Click this link to read Ten-and-In foot putts
Ten-and-In Putts Reading and Sinking Geoff Mangum The PuttingZone Four Skills of Putting — The Ten-and-In ZoneApril 27. 2015Putts outside 10 feet usually have less than a 50% probability of being one-putts.
On the PGA Tour, the average pro sinks 40% from ten feet in Tournament play. That leaves a 60% probability that these putts from ten feet are two-putts. The “average” pro distance where the pro is 50-50 is currently 8.2 feet.
But actually, the TOP golfers on Tour at ten feet do better than the average 40%, and the stats leader over a year can sink as high as almost 60% from ten feet. But the ten-foot mark is a useful demarcation of putts, so that inside ten feet putts are more likely one-putts than two-putts, while outside ten foot putts are more likely two-putts than one-putts.
Accordingly, a golfer wanting to spend time getting good at one-putting for either birdie with first putts on greens reached in regulation or for par-save one-putting after chipping close onto missed greens in regulation would be smart to focus on the “ten-and-in” range.
Ten-and-In Putts click to read full report
Not only are these the putts that in competition NEED to be one-putted more frequently than the competition, but longer putts are not as likely to be one-putted even with great skill, and improvement over the competition pays BIGGER DIVIDENDS as the putts get closer inside the “ten-and-in” range.
This latter point follows from how many putts a player actually faces in a round or in a year: half of all putts Tour players face in a year are inside 5 feet, and 65% of all putts players face in a year are inside ten feet. So working on the “inside 5 feet” range (50% of putts) is about 3 times more valuable than working in the “5 to 10 foot” range (15% of putts). And likewise, working in 1
the “ten-and-in” range (65% of all putts) is at least twice as valuable as working on putts outside ten feet (35%), especially since it’s not likely the skill can be improved a great deal outside ten feet and even if so, the number of putts one-putted from outside ten feet compared to the field is not a big number — nice but not all that significant.
The golfer then ought to be the MASTER in knowing all there is to know about putts in the “ten-and-in” range, with a second-level expertise in the “five-and-in” range.MASTERING THE KNOWLEDGEThe first thing to do is identify WHAT KNOWLEDGE one needs to learn.
The first type of knowledge is physics: How do the different factors that matter to breaking or straight putts — slope, green speed, distance, surface shape, elevation change, and ball pace — operate to determine curve, start line, aim target, and ball pace to sink these putts?
The second type of knowledge is greens: How are greens designed, built, maintained, and conditioned to result in certain typical or common patterns of the factors that matter to the putt — what slopes, slope directions, green speeds, distances, surface shapes, and elevation changes can be expected as common and frequent when playing a round of golf?
The third type of knowledge is human performance: What sorts of stroke setup and motion patterns are effective for line control and what sorts of setup and motion patterns and timing patterns are effective for pace control and how do these human performance process of perception and movement actually operate, so the golfer knows the how-to of skilled performance for line and distance?
Putts inside 10 feet very frequently present with common features: slopes between 1% and 3%, green speed about Stimp 10’, surface flatness same from ball to hole. As a ballpark first read, these putts with a smart ball pace break 0.5” per foot of putt on 1% Slope and in multiples of this for 2%, 3%, and 4% Slope.
These putts also break 2.38 degrees off the baseline to the high side for all 1% Slope putts (any distance), 4.76 degrees for all 2% Slope putts, 7.14 degrees for all 3% Slope putts, and 9.52 degrees for all 4% Slope putts.
And for each slope there is a circle range within which all putts aim inside the hole: 1% Slope out to 4.25 feet; 2% Slope out to half that or 2.125 feet; 3% Slope out to 1/3rd that or 1.42 feet; and 4% Slope out to 1/4th that or 1.06 feet. And further out from these “all in” circles, there is an X for any Slope and Distance formed by crossing the arms of the X at the target spot above the hole with each arm grazing the edge of the hole, so that the vertical sections inside the X define uphill and downhill putts that are all aimed inside the hole.
These Xs also serve well for targeting where long lags end up, on or near the fall line inside the X so that the next putt is easy.